The AFGUARD® is a measurement system, which supervises the quality of jet fuels. The AFGUARD® is recommended for in-situ measurement of particulate matter in jet fuel like free water. The AFGUARD® is a scattered light sensor and is designed to provide an in-line control solution for a variety of processes.
The aviation industry has used the gravimetric and appearance test methods from its very earliest beginnings. There is no doubt that the use of these methods coupled with very conservative limits and well specified procedures to achieve them, have given the industry the very highest levels of confidence in supplying fuel that is fit-for-purpose. Due to the ever present possibility that these procedures may break down and developments in sensing technology, the industry has evaluating other cleanliness assessment methods. API and EI have also published API/EI 1598 which provides recommendations for the use of electronic sensors than can detect low levels of free water in aviation fuels. Electronic sensors will detect and measure continuously real time, producing objective assessment of cleanliness.
The AFGUARD free water sensor reflects the next generation of aviation fuel monitoring and is an important contribution to aviation safety. Its’ innovative sensor technology meets the advanced demands of today and tomorrow. Proper use will prolong the service life of 2″ monitor elements to 3 years. This translates into less maintenance and less down time for fuelling vehicles, and is a huge cost saver.
The AFGUARD® is the only electronic sensor commercially available to monitor the amount of water in Jet fuel, in the context of the JIG bulletin no. 110 “Use of Electronic Water Sensors”.
The sensor is now:
- Qualified and tested according to specification EI 1598
- Accepted by Joint Inspection Group (JIG)
- Recommended by IATA Fuel Quality Pool (IFQP)
Some of the innovative features are:
- Intrinsically safe
- Dual channel scattered light turbidity sensor
- Continuous monitoring of aviation fuel flow
- Detection/monitoring the performance of filter water separators and monitors
- Reduction of faulty areas in aviation fuel filtration
- AFGUARD uses a light scattering/light blocking method
- Very low maintenance
- Long durability
- Measurement range 0 to 50 ppm or 0 to 100 ppm
- Accuracy +/- 3 ppm
- Linear analogue output signal 4 to 20 mA
- Contact Load DC 24 V DC
- Available variants intrinsically safe / safe area version
- Hazardous area approvals
- ATEX Ex II 1/2G Ex ib [ia] IIB T4
- ATEX Ex II 1/2G Ex ia IIB T4
- ATEX Ex II 3G Ex ic IIB T4
- Ingress protection IP 67
- Operating temperature -30 to + 60 °C
- Storage temperature -30 to + 70 °C
- Relative humidity 10 to 90 %
- Pressure range 10, 16 bar
- Wrench size AF 36
- Torque 50 Nm